BBQ Smoked Pork Ribs
Courtesy of Lynn Crawford
- 5 pounds pork spareribs, cut into slabs
- 1/3 cup Southern dry spice rub (recipe to follow)
- 2 cups 2 cups BBQ sauce (see recipe under Pulled Pork Sandwiches)
- 2 cups mesquite chips, soaked in water for 30 minutes then drained
- Rub the spareribs with the dry rub. Wrap each slab tightly in a double thickness of foil. Set aside while building the fire.
- Build a charcoal fire in an outdoor grill and let burn until the coals are covered with white ash. Place the foil-wrapped ribs on the grill and cover. Cook, turning occasionally, until the ribs are tender, about 1 hour. Unwrap the ribs and set aside.
- Sprinkle the drained chips over the coals. Place the ribs on the grill, brush with sauce, and cover. Grill for 5 minutes. Turn, brush with more sauce. Cover and continue grilling until the ribs are glazed, about 5 more minutes.
- Cut between the bones into individual ribs. Serve hot, with any remaining sauce passed on the side