Turmeric Jeweled Basmati Rice
Courtesy of Michael Bonacini
- 3 cups Basmati rice – washed and drained
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 walnut sized piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
- 6 cardamom pods
- 2 pieces cinnamon stick
- 1 cup dried apricots, diced
- Fry garlic and ginger until light golden brown
- Add cardamom pod, cinnamon, bay leaf, rice, turmeric powder and apricots.
- Season with salt. Cover with 1” of water and cook slowly for 8-12 minutes Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes
- Empty into serving pan and add almonds. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and mint, and serve.